Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chocolate Macadamia Nut Porter Update

I force carbonated the porter last night at about 26-28 psi for 14 hours at about 38 degrees. This morning, I turned the pressure down to about 10 psi (serving pressure) to let it keep going for a few more days. I poured a small glass just to see how it was coming along and I dare say it is ready. I'm sure that after another couple of days, it will be perfectly carbonated, but it's very nicely carbonated now. I think it carbonated so quickly because the gas is denser the colder it gets.

The porter itself turned out nicely. It has a nice nose; you can immediately smell the chocolate and you get a nice smoky, roasted aroma which I'm assuming is the nuts. Considering it has a large portion of hops, it is not overly hoppy, which I like. The flavor is a little lacking, which is surprising considering the amount of ingredients that went into this beer. There is a little chocolate on the tip of the tongue followed by a bitter-sweet finish. It has a nice mouthfeel and a long-lasting consistent head (thank you, CO2).  It is definitely on the bitter side (not necessarily a bad thing, but it feels too much like a stout as opposed to the porter it is supposed to be), so I might try milk-chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate instead of the bitter-sweet I used if I were to try this recipe again. This bitterness takes away from the smoothness a little. Overall, I would give this beer a solid B. Not great, but not awful, either. It is something I would definitely like to play around with in the future. However, none of my friends have tried it, so I'll let them judge it as I am probably my worst critic. Also, it has only been in the keg for a day. As it conditions further, the beer may begin to show some more mature characteristics.

On a side note, I am in love with kegging already. It presents new challenges and problems (like making sure everything is hooked up properly, securing leaks, getting the regulator to work, etc.), but it is very nice to just walk up to the tap and pour off a nice cold beer whenever I want. Gotta love it!

Until Next Time,
RHSC

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to ask if this recipe used liquid extract or dry extract. Thanks

    Jeremy B

    ReplyDelete