Sunday, June 5, 2011

Chocolate Macadamia Nut Porter

This past Friday, a group of friends came over and helped me brew this latest batch. I've been trying ever since Beer Fest to create a recipe for this type of porter after I tried the Gallows Point Dead Man's Porter, which was a chocolate macadamia nut flavored beer. Since then I have been anxious to find a recipe that recreates this beer. I couldn't find one anywhere. I looked through various recipe books and even online to no avail.  So, this is basically an original recipe that I came up with based on a couple of basic porter and chocolate porter recipes.

Ingredients:

  • 4.3 lbs Dark Malt Extract
  • 3 lbs Amber Malt Extract
  • 0.5 lb Crystal Grain (90 L)
  • 0.5 lb Chocolate Malt 
  • 0.25 lb Black Patent Malt
  • 1.5 cups Molasses
  • 9 oz Bittersweet Baking Chocolate (60% Cacao) (melted) (adjust amount based on desired sweetness)
  • 1 cup Chopped Macadamia Nuts (roasted)
  • 1.5 oz Northern Brewer Hops 
  • 1.5 oz Cascade Hops
  • American Ale Yeast
Instructions:
  • Steep grains at 150-160F for 30-60 minutes.
  • Bring to boil and stir in extract, molasses, and Northern Brewing hops. Boil for one hour.
  • At 45 minutes left, stir in half of the macadamia nuts.
  • At 30 minutes, stir in the melted chocolate. Stir frequently to prevent the chocolate from burning.
  • At 15 minutes, stir in the rest of the nuts.
  • After one hour, remove the wort from heat and steep the Cascade hops for 10 minutes.
  • Chill wort quickly and add to fermenter.
  • Pitch yeast.
  • Ferment in primary for 7-10 days.
  • Transfer to secondary for 7-10 days.
OG = 1.060

I have invested in a kegging system (blog post on the way), so I will not be bottling this batch. I will transfer to a keg and force carbonate for about 5 days. However, if you want to bottle, you will boil 3/4 cup of corn sugar to 2 cups of water for a priming solution and bottle for 10-14 days. I am very excited about this batch, especially since I will be kegging. Once it is ready, I will post an update.

Until Next Time,
RHSC

6 comments:

  1. Will you be forcing the carbonation with plain CO2, or will you be using a gas blend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plan right now is just to use CO2. Nitrogen is a lot more expensive and requires different equipment I don't have, and using a blend is a bit ambitious for me right now as I haven't done this before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was your pre keg gravity reading for this beer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. how did the beer come out. I am thinking about making a coconut macadamia nut porter tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I'm sorry I didn't see this comment sooner. I thought it turned out really well. If you made this back in April, you've probably gotten a chance to taste yours by now. How did it turn out?

    ReplyDelete