Sunday, June 12, 2011

Stupid Bucket Lid...

Imagine what you would say if something suddenly went wrong with a project you had been working on for weeks...and that is probably what I said this past Friday night. After I transferred the porter (see Chocolate Macadamia Nut Porter post) from the primary to the secondary, something horrible happened. As I was placing the airlock into the rubber ring in the top of the lid, the ring fell into the batch. Panic ran through my mind like never before. I cursed...and then cursed some more. I quickly opened the bucket; maybe it was floating.

No such luck. It sank to the bottom.

I suddenly began thinking about having to toss the batch due to it being completely contaminated. However, I realized that there is a reason why I sanitize the entire lid and not just the underside that comes in contact with the beer (as a few people have told me is all that is necessary). I quickly washed and sanitized the primary and tubing, and re-transferred the beer back into the first bucket. I guess in the grand scheme of things, this was not the worst thing that could have happened, but what upsets me the most is how much beer I lost in the process. You always lose a little volume in the transfer, but I went from just over 5 gallons to less than 4.5 gallons on Friday. Hopefully, this won't contaminate the batch and it will still turn out well. It's just extremely irritating.

Damn.

Until Next Time,
RHSC

No comments:

Post a Comment