Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pale Ale

As most of you probably know, I am not a fan of pale ales, and I definitely don't like IPAs. I don't like the overly bitter punch of hops without any malt body to back up the hops. However, a lot of people do like them. Just go look at all the craft beers in the grocery store beer aisle. So many of them are IPAs and pale ales. A lot of my friends like them, so I decided to try my hands at making one. My goal was to make a pale ale that has a nice balance between the hops and the malt. I don't have a lot of experience with pale ales, so the guy at the local HBS took a pale ale kit and helped me customize a recipe to basically make a balanced batch of beer that I would like, but that pale ale drinkers would also like. I brewed today, and it smelled surprisingly good. It looked a little dark for a pale ale, but they all look a little darker in the bucket than they end up looking in the glass. I was also amazed at how easy this batch was to make. This may have been the easiest batch I've ever brewed.

Ingredients:

  • 6.3 lbs Light Malt Extract
  • 0.5 lbs Crystal Malt (40 L)
  • 6 oz 2-Row Malted Barley
  • 1 oz Cascade Hops
  • 1 package English Ale Yeast

Instructions:
  • Steep grains at 150-160F for 30-60 minutes
  • Stir in extract and half of the hops. Boil for one hour.
  • At 30 minutes, stir in the remainder of the hops.
  • After one hour, remove from heat and cool the wort.
  • Pitch the yeast.
  • Ferment for 10-14 days.
OG: 1.038

Once again, I plan to keg this batch and force carbonate. If you are going to bottle, you will want to use 3/4 cup of corn sugar to 2 cups of water for the priming solution. I will let you know in a couple of weeks how it turns out.

Until Next Time,
RHSC

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear someone else shares my feelings on IPAs. The good news is though that once you get started on the balanced versions, the other ones become more tolerable and even grow on you. I find myself being less and less offended by them all the time. Who knew?!

    ReplyDelete