Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Pale Ale Update

Okay, so this didn't turn out extremely well, but it isn't a total waste, either. Two of my friends who are big pale ale fans said that it wasn't too bad; it's drinkable. It has a nice hoppy aroma, a nice pale ale taste up front, but it apparently has a sweet finish that is overpowering (too much malt, or not enough hops, or a combination of both). It has a little too much head, but that's something I can adjust (I'm still getting used to forced carbonation). My biggest complaint is that it is way too cloudy. There are definitely some things I need to experiment with. Next time, I think I will leave out the 6 oz of crushed 2-row and maybe add an extra half-ounce of Cascade hops somewhere in the boil. I would also transfer it over to the secondary for a least 3-4 days so as to let it clear up some more. I think it would have a clearer body and not be so sweet on the finish that way. Ultimately, it's not a bad beer. I could definitely drink it (if nothing else was around :) ). However, I think in my attempt to make a more balanced pale ale, I went a little too far in the other direction. If I try this again, I will try to go back a little in the direction of a traditional pale ale.

OG: 1.038
FG: 1.008
ABV: 4%

Until Next Time,
RHSC

1 comment:

  1. Did you use a clarifying agent (whirlfloc, irish moss, etc)? (I can't remember if you said that you used those or not)

    As for the flavor...
    Yeah, anything in the keg right next to your macadamia nut porter is gonna be at a starting disadvantage. It really steals the show.

    ReplyDelete