Monday, June 11, 2012

Irish Red

I brewed this one at the same time as the witbier (see Lemon Wit). I've never brewed a red before, and I really like them, so I thought I'd give it a try. In my opinion, reds can be a perfect compromise of beer tastes. They are not as heavy as super dark beers (like stouts and porters), but they have more flavor and malt characteristics than really light beers (like blondes, goldens, and some lagers). This is a really easy recipe and should hopefully taste really good.


Ingredients:
  • 6.6 pounds Light (or English Pale Ale) LME
  • 2 pounds Light (or English Pale Ale) DME
  • 6 ounces Crystal 40L
  • 6 ounces Crystal 120L
  • 6 ounces Roasted Barley
  • 1.25 ounces Kent Goldings Hops
  • 10 grams Irish Ale Yeast

Instructions:
  • Steep grains and barley at 150-160 F for 30-60 minutes.
  • Add dry extract and hops. Boil for 60 minutes
  • At 15 minutes left, add liquid malt.
  • After one hour, remove from heat. Cool wort and add to fermenter.
  • Pitch yeast. *I used one packet Fermentis Safale US-05. If using liquid yeast, you could use up to 2 packets. You could use White Labs WLP004 or Wyeast 1084.
  • Ferment for 7-14 days.
  • I will keg with CO2.

OG: 1.064


Until Next Time,
RHSC

No comments:

Post a Comment