Saturday, February 18, 2012

Update on three beers

Over the fall, I brewed three beers: a porter, a pumpkin ale, and a Belgian. The pumpkin ale and porter both turned out really well.

The porter was especially a big hit among my friends and was gone in less than a month. I did notice a little bit of a sour taste in the after taste, and I wonder if that was because of the vanilla extract. Next time, I'll either add it to the keg, or leave it out completely.

The pumpkin ale got better as it aged in the keg. It definitely grew on me, as I did not think it was as good as the porter at first. The flavors were well balanced and it had a very smooth mouthfeel to it. It definitely had a nice spice aroma. I know that pumpkin really doesn't have a lot of flavor (most pumpkin ales don't even call for real pumpkin), but I think the addition of real (and fresh) pumpkin really helped. Roasting it with the spices upfront also helped bring out what little flavor is in pumpkin flesh. Overall, this was a good spiced brown ale and I would make it again. The only real downside to this beer is the amount of prep and time it takes to make it.

The Belgian did not turn out at all. Belgian's typically do better with longer fermentation times, but I think I went too far by letting it ferment for over 12 weeks. It was completely sour and had no flavor. This is the first batch I have ever tossed. I hope it doesn't happen again.

Until Next Time,
RHSC

No comments:

Post a Comment