Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sexual Chocolate

I have had really good luck with porters since I've started brewing. I've also discovered more of a taste for them as I've been making them. A couple of friends of mine really liked the last porter I made (refer to Black Cat) and wanted me to experiment with another porter. We came up with an idea for a dark beer with strawberries after we had already planned to make a strawberry cider (see previous "Strawberry Cider" post). I found a recipe for a raspberry porter that I liked. I will simply substitute in strawberries. I've also added some chocolate to the recipe to add some texture and flavor (chocolate and strawberries go great together), and modified the grain and malt bill a little. This is a pretty simple recipe and we had a lot of fun making it at the same time as the cider. It turned out to be a strawberry themed brew party.

Ingredients

  • 6.6 pounds Light LME
  • 3.3 pounds Munich LME
  • 8 ounces Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
  • 1 pound Crystal Malt (40 L)
  • 3/4 pound Chocolate Malt
  • 1/2 pound Black Patent Malt
  • 2 ounces Kent Golding Hops
  • American Ale Yeast (12 grams)
  • 3 pounds Strawberry puree

Instructions
  • Steep grains at 150-160F for about 30 minutes
  • Remove grains and add half of the light extract and the hops. Boil for 60 minutes.
  • Add melted chocolate at 30-40 minutes into the boil.
  • Add the remaining extract in the last 10-15 minutes of the boil.*
  • Remove from heat after 60 minutes. 
  • Cool wort and add to fermenter. Add water to get 5 gallons.
  • Pitch yeast.
  • Ferment in primary for 7-10 days (or until fermentation slows dramatically).
  • Boil strawberry puree for 5-10 minutes (I will be making my own puree using fresh strawberries). Let cool.
  • Put puree in the secondary fermenter. Rack the porter on top of the puree in the secondary.
  • Let ferment in secondary an additional 7-14 days. 
  • I will keg using CO2.
OG: 1.070

*I used all liquid malt extract (LME) for this batch. When using LME, I have found that you can get more flavor out of the malt by not boiling all of it for the entire 60 minutes. 

I am excited about this beer. It should be good. I hope to update at the secondary process when I take more gravity readings. We came up with this name as kind of an homage to one of Eddie Murphy's numerous characters in "Coming to America." We were trying to come up with something creative and original to capture the essence of what we hope this beer will turn out to be. After mulling over ideas like "Chocolate Covered Strawberry," "Strawberry Chocolate Porter," and "Strawberry Porter," one of the guys helping brew the beer blurted out "Sexual Chocolate." I hope it will fit--a little sweet, a little strong, a tad bit outrageous, but ultimately very enjoyable and satisfying. 

I could also be reading way too much into this. It's a creative and hilarious name for a beer.

Until Next Time,
RHSC

2 comments:

  1. man, this doesn't sound familiar at all... http://www.foothillsbrewing.com/seasonal.html

    on a more serious note, your recipe sounds delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it sucks that the name is already taken, but at least it's not the same idea. I was a little worried at first.

    Okay, so we need a new name. Any suggestions? Leave comments with ideas. Go!

    ReplyDelete