Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Citrus Wheat Beer (Round 2)

This is a revised version of a wheat beer I made last fall. You can find the post here on the blog entitled "Citrus Wheat Beer." I made a few changes, trying to play off the great flavor I got last time while trying to add more wheat flavors to make it more of an "authentic" wheat beer. I brewed this batch last Thursday. Hopefully it will turn out as successful as the first try.

Ingredients:
6.6 pounds Wheat Malt Extract
1 pound Wheat Grain (85 L)
1 pound Flaked Wheat (2 L)
1 ounce Liberty Hops
2 Oranges, Sliced
Zest of 1 Lemon
1 package (11 g) of American Ale Yeast (S-33)
3/4 cup of Corn Sugar (priming)

Instructions:
  • Steep grains and wheat at 150 F for 30-60 minutes.
  • Stir in malt extract. Bring to boil for 1 hour.
  • Once wort begins to boil, add hops.
  • Add oranges in last 10-15 minutes of boil.
  • Add lemon zest in last 5-7 minutes of boil.
  • Chill wort quickly and add to fermenter.
  • Pitch yeast and seal fermenter.
  • Ferment in primary for 7 days.
  • Transfer to secondary fermenter. Let sit for 7 more days.
  • Boil corn sugar in 2 cups water for priming solution.
  • Pour priming solution into bottling bucket.
  • Transfer wort from secondary to bottling bucket. Let sit for 2-5 minutes. Bottle.
  • Let beer stand in bottles 10-14 days.

I will let you know how it turns out once I've tried it.

Until Next Time,
RHSC

1 comment:

  1. I tried this on May 13.
    (the 'day before' conditioning was planned to be complete)

    Poured a nice head, expected of a wheat beer.
    The beer was orange and cloudy, as expected.

    Citrus really comes through on the nose, as well as on the tip of the tongue.

    The finish for me was a little lacking.
    The great nose and mouthfeel suddenly gave out, and I felt like I was missing something.

    Otherwise, a very smooth wheat.

    ReplyDelete